Learn the ins and outs of the online casino tournament world, and discover how to beat it.
Nothing is more exciting than participating in a tournament. It doesn’t matter what kind of tournament – Poker, March Madness, Mortal Kombat – if there’s a tournament happening, it’s guaranteed to have intrigue, excitement, and more often than not, a lot of money for the winner.
But first things first:
How do online casino tournaments work?
That’s a good question. I’m glad you asked. The basic structure for a standard online casino tournament involves accumulating points, rather than cash. Tournaments vary game by game, but usually, players will be competing to get the highest possible score (the most money) in the game of the tournament, before the time runs out.
You pay a set amount to enter the tournament and are given credits to play with, which you use to accumulate the highest bankroll you can in the time allotted. Tournaments often have little prizes along the way, as well as prizes for those who ranked highly, if not first. The more players who have signed up for the tournament, and the higher the buy-in for the tournament, the larger the prize pools will generally be.
Slot tournaments can also be a fun way to play a whole bunch of games on a slot you like, with real stakes behind it (like if you win the tournament), but without having to worry about losing your shirt since you already know how much you’re going to spend on this play session when you put down the buy-in.
EXAMPLE SLOTS TOURNAMENT:
Let’s say you decide to enter a tournament on the Paydirt! slot, and the buy-in is $50.
If 200 players enter the tournament, the total prize pool will be $50 x 200 ($10,000), minus any fees the online casino may charge.
There are many ways to split up that $10,000 prize pool. One example is below –
1st place: $6,000
2nd place: $2000
3rd place $1,000
4th – 13th place: $100 each
With a set-up like this, the top player stands to win a good chunk of the prizes, but you’ll still at least double your money if you make it into the top 5-6%
Let’s say this tournament starts everyone out with 1,000 credits, and has a 20-minute time limit. That means you’ll want to spin as much as you can, getting your total winnings as high as possible before time runs out.
What kind of tournaments should I play?
In the world of online casinos, tournaments are a great way to lure in players from all over the world and have them compete against each other. Most casinos offer a wide variety of tournaments, including slots, blackjack, roulette, poker, free roll, and many more.
The most popular tournaments are, you guessed it, slot machine tournaments. There’s something intoxicating; thrilling, about being able to cast some huge slots bets as you work your way toward the finish, and many players enjoy having the chance to play their favorite game for hours, while not having to check on their bankroll.
So let’s start here, with the slots. You should pick a slot you’re comfortable, and enjoy playing. If you’re new to online casino gambling, it might be worth taking a little time to play through some slots for free, so you can get a feel for how they work, and pick one that matches the style you like to play. Try out some slots for free, instantly.
Once you’ve found a slot you really enjoy (and you’ve taken a bit of time to practice it; come on now, practice makes perfect), it’s time to find a place to play.
What should I look for and what should I do?
Look for accumulated pay tournaments. The cash payouts are bigger in tournaments that use most of the player fees to issue prizes. If the total of the player fees are significantly less than the grand prize, the casino is retaining that money rather than issuing it to players as prizes.
Play in tournaments as often as you can. The more often you play in slot machine tournaments, the higher the odds are of you winning in them. Determine your tournament fee budget ahead of time and stick to that budget, entering in as many contests as that amount allows. Frequency of play is the key to winning these exciting contests.
How do I win these tournaments?
It’s hard to narrow down a definite strategy when it comes to slot tournaments, as so much of it comes down to hitting the right symbols at the right time. That said, the following tips are meant to give you as much of an edge as possible:
- Bet the maximum amount. These credits aren’t going to roll over into your account if you don’t send them, so bet high and bet hard. You’ve gotta get to the top!
- Spin fast. Similar to point one, if you’re playing in a timed tournament, you need to be spinning those reels as fast as you can. Set them to the quickest setting, and keep your fingers poised to stop and start the spins as often as possible. The more spins you make, the higher your chances of winning. And when you do come up with a win on your machine, don’t take the time to celebrate the victory. It is but a small win in the bigger picture, and you don’t want your cheering time to take away from playing time.
- Avoid distractions. Even when you’re playing in your own home, distractions can take away from what would have otherwise been an amazing slot tournament victory. Before you play, make
sure the dog is walked, the oven isn’t on, and nothing’s going to interrupt your flow.
- Concentrate and maintain speed. These may seem like obvious suggestions, but it can be difficult to maintain concentration in the midst of the flurry of activity during a slot tournament. The other players may be engaging in rituals that can invite you to be entertained or the noise level can get high. If you allow yourself to take your concentration off your machine for a few seconds, you can lose valuable playing time that cannot be regained.
Scheduled Tournament: A tournament with a set date and time
Sit n Go Tournament: A tournament setup where you sit down at a table and the tournament begins once the table is full (commonly used in poker).
Free Roll Tournament: No entry fee tournament where you still have the chance to win big prizes. Often attract a large number of players.
Slots Tournament: A scheduled tournament where all players have the same amount of credit and whichever player has the most amount of money at the end wins the grand prize.
Guaranteed Tournament: Enter and no matter how you do, you’re guaranteed to win something! Not a bad deal, right? These tournaments are often used to lure players to the casino.
How do I play and win online slot tournaments
- Learn the essential guidelines
- Practice some of the games for free
- Find a freeroll tournament, or one with a good prize pool
- Bet the maximum and keep the focus